Saturday

Kowspewn

November 10 - 13

Yangshao 'Chasing cars' to Guilin - Shenzen - Kowloon. Overnight train prob about 1000k.

Me.Kowloon.Sick.sad.

The whole trip has been through Mandarin speaking China. As well as not speaking much English, everything is written in calligraphic symbols (internet cafe is 2 'x's inside 2 boxes! - which means I can find an internet cafe, but im a bit buggered if I want to find, say, a toilet....or a restaurant.....or a hotel ....the list goes on!)). Some places do write things in a version that the western eye would recognise, but everything seems to have J Q X Y + Z in it - Brilliant!. Kowloon is a cantonese speaking area, which means that everything is still written in symbols, and the Western versions seem to be all fook, kok + sook.....confusing...Yes......Hilarious.....Yes!

Arrival Kowloon. About half the group have already been sick this past week, + one of the gals has been all morning on the train - I feel 'a bit funny'. Soon after I am a qualified spewdent in the art of the Hurl and it dont get much worse n'that (plus I'd had a Mackie D's which didnt taste particularly great the first time round!!!!)

Ho-hum. At least the convulsions have stopped. Missed the 'last' night of the tour where everyone gets to have a few + say bye properly which i'm pretty gutted about. Still, it was a fantastic experience + met some really lovely people.

Deep stuff about journeys (it will be deep; it will be about journeys.......but it wont be about journeys to the deep) - I have already experienced far more on both an emotional + spiritual level than I thought possible when I left. The reason I wanted to travel was to learn more about the World, & also my place in it. I have physically travelled thousands of miles and seen some amazing things, but it is probably the other aspects of the journey that have had the biggest impression so far. That isnt to say that China hasn't left a (haaawwkk.....spit! hahaha) impression on me. (I take the 'P' quite a bit (who....me?) about the people smoking & spitting but they were great and really friendly (why wouldnt they be) just the habits they had took some getting used to!), and as for the scenery.....I cant wait to get back there someday & see some more......As for the other journeys.....well I guess I'm only really just on those paths, so we'll just have to wait and see......

Soundtrack to China: The Shins' Chutes too narrow

First time thru Kowloon Park + A wise looking guru sage & his young be-turbaned apprentice stopped me to say I have a 'lucky face'! + that I will receive 3 bits of good news in the near future.......Second time Thru the same park......Bird shits on my shoulder. Brilliant! - cant wait til I get to Vietnam, them got elephants!

1 Comments:

Blogger nidpor said...

Nobber! - great to hear from ya......shame about the 'pool eh! - still, things really can only get better......Havent seen any league tables for a while though.....Who's top? (hahaha!). Found a nice Irish bar in Kowloon that serves the black stuff.....Lovely!!!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home